- From Steel to Slots: Casino Capitalism in the Postindustrial City (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2016).
- "Shifting Shorelines: Land Reclamation and Economic Blackmail in Industrial South Chicago," Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space 1, no. 1-2 (2018): 186-205.
- “Wishing Upon a Star: Christmas Tourism and Urban Renewal in Bethlehem, PA,” Journal of Planning History 12, no. 2 (May 2013): 154-178.
- “Deindustrialization and the Postindustrial City, 1950-Present,” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of American History (Oxford: Oxford University Press, published online June 2018).
- "Spectral Shorelines," in Martha Bayne, ed., Rust Belt Chicago: An Anthology (Cleveland: Belt Publishing, 2017).
- “Chinatown Buses at a Steeltown Casino: Global Flows in a Risk Economy,” in Stephen Fan, ed., Sub-Urbanisms: Casino Urbanization, Chinatowns, and the Contested American Landscape (New London, CT: Lyman Allyn Art Museum, 2014).
Public Interest and Editorials
- "Rust Belt Cities Gamble on Casino-Led Urban Development," Next City, September 15, 2016.
- “How to Reuse a Casino,” Huffington Post Blog, September 8, 2014.
- “Ticket to a New York Casino License is on the Chinatown Bus,” Huffington Post Blog, July 2, 2014.
- “Detroit’s New Task Force Report is ‘Blight’ on Cue,” Huffington Post Blog, May 29, 2014.
- The American Scholar, regular contributor to “Works in Progress” section.